Crowns and Bridges
Dental crowns and bridges do more than just bring back your beautiful smile. A crown restores the normal size, shape and function of the tooth and is generally used when:
- A tooth has weakened due to decay
- A tooth has broken or is severely worn down
- A tooth has a very large filling
- A tooth is severely discolored or misshapen
- A dental crown is also used to cover a dental implant
Most crowns are made from porcelain, gold or porcelain-fused to metal. Porcelain is more appealing as it can be made to look just like your natural teeth; however, gold is more durable which is why it’s recommended for the back teeth.
A bridge, on the other hand, is comprised of two or more crowns on either side of the gap caused by missing tooth/teeth. The crowns in this instance serve as anchoring teeth, and a prosthetic tooth/teeth are placed in between.
Dental bridges offer the following benefits:
- Prevent the remaining teeth from shifting
- Restore your ability to chew and speak properly
- Prevent the face from sagging/becoming hollow
- Bring back your smile
With the right treatment, a damaged or missing tooth doesn’t have to impact your smile or your oral health. Dental crowns and bridges offer a number of advantages, so if your dentist recommends it, it’s definitely an excellent option.